Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Return to Freelancing

It's been almost a month since I submitted the manuscript for The Complete Idiot's Guide to Green Careers. The time has flown! I'd planned to take part of September off to recuperate after putting in long hours to finish the book but it didn't happen. I stepped away from the computer for about 10 minutes - just long enough to clean a closet or two, drop off several bags at Goodwill, send some old electronics to the recycling depot and scrub the bathrooms. 

Even though I'm logging a lot of hours in front of the computer, I don't have a lot of work. A big part of freelancing is seeking out work so I'm researching ideas, sending pitches and touching base with editors in the hopes that assignments will start finding their way into my inbox. 

I've started planning the publicity efforts for The Green Year (it'll be on bookstore shelves in just two months)! I'm working with a publicist at Alpha to spread the word about the book. So far, it seems to be working. I've done a few media interviews, had some interest from book reviewers and am working to schedule book signings. I'm also looking into speaking opportunities at schools, home and garden shows and events with an environmental bent. It's a lot of work - more work than I anticipated - but I love tackling a new challenge. I'm still working on getting a website up and running. As soon as it's live, I'll post details. Until then, I have to keep my nose to the grindstone. 

1 comment:

Coach With Lynn said...

Hi Jodi,

Was excited to read about your book, The Green Year. The name of our company is the same. We have a new book out too, Celebrate Green! Creating Eco-Savvy Holidays, Celebrations and Traditions for the Whole Family. Would love to be in touch with your. If you're interested, please email me, LynnATcelebrategreen.NET

Thanks.